Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] question

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Fri Feb 17 15:40:00 2006

I'd suggest that you do a search, at
http://www.sudval.org/04_sear_01.html

I found hundreds of links on the topic. The following links
come from the archives of this list:

http://www.sudval.org/archives/dsm/index.html#153

http://www.sudval.org/archives/dsm4/index.html#419

http://www.sudval.org//archives/dsm5/0906.html

http://www.sudval.org/~sdg/archives/dsm8/index.html#39

Some general thoughts:

1: ADHD is amazingly widely overdiagnosed. Many children who
aren't interested in classes get so labelled, because it's
easier to blame the child's biology than the school.

2: A resonable subset of students at Sudbury Valley were
diagnosed ADHD before they came to the school. Not only are
they fine in this environment, but often demonstrate *more*
capacity to intently concentrate than those not so
diagnosed. Surprise, surprise -- in a traditional school
people who get very passionate about particular subjects or
activities have trouble pretending to be interested in the
subject-du-jour that the teacher brings up.

In the school we never *ever* treat a person any differently
because of a diagnosis of ADHD, or a diagnosis of Dyslexia;
or for that matter any other label or diagnosis.

The school is *not* a thereputic environment, and is here
for people who are able to educate themselves in an
environment of freedom and respect. As such we don't
"recognize" or "address" ADHD (though if someone actually
demonstrated a disorder that actually made them potentially
unable to educate themselves here, that *is* something that
would cause us to ask parents to address the issue or for us
to terminate the enrollment). As it happens, almost every
child who has been diagnosed ADHD (not interested in what
the teacher is babbling about) or Duslexic (not interested
in reading right then) who comes our way does just *fine*
without any special treatment.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray_at_sudval.org