Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] what creates = learning disabilities

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Fri Feb 17 09:38:01 2006

Kim,

I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding all that you said; but I think you
were suggesting that with more parental advocacy and more flexibility
regarding learning style, that public school might be more successful with
the "challenged" kids. I guess I would agree that that's better than
nothing. However, I was very much the parent advocate, we had the IEP, we
had sensory integration therapy, and they tried to work as flexibly as they
could with his learning style (but only as it fit that model,of course). I
think that last part was the biggest joke. Supposedly letting him try out
different ways to sit, ie on a ball, and having a brief break of walking
down the hall to get in some activity was supposed to help! They really
just don't get it, IMHO. In addition, all of this just singled him out as
having problems, regardless of how much everyone tried to say that "all kids
just have their different strengths and weaknesses." "Actions speak louder
than words", too, however.

Your welcome,
Ann