[Discuss-sudbury-model] what creates = learning disabilities

From: KIM J NICHOLSON <perceptions4_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri Feb 17 08:06:01 2006

 Anne.. your statement. wraps up a lot of what is a problem in some
public school. The forced control.. especially in the younger years ,
seems to jam the life force.. backing up into self destructive
behaviors, or disabled.. detaching the life force.
  With sid, sensory Integration disorders.. processing.. even something
they may like.. but struggle with ..
When my oldest was in public till 2.. much of the work was about
control.. then we homeschooled. He just entered 8 grade public.. by
choice..
and while it seems some children thrive in a public school environment..
many are locked up. he is definitely seeing the freedom of choice he had.
, and how the rules, for children.can be restrictive.
   the problem lays with parents who need to take more responsibility
for their individual children and be more advocate within the
public.school.. and take the heat from their fear.
I made the public system run a iep(individual Ed program) on my son, when
we reentered.. I didn't consider that he was a "challenged", but knew..
just thrown in.. to their way of schooling. .. could jam him. I told
them Sid.. because of him being a free child, and him and me, having to
accommodate and compensate for their lack of system freedom.
.. although the public is still unequipped to understand..an with all
the years I adjusted my son then had the tools and his brain chemistry
matured.. bringing him and new balance and desire to learn.
 But they do understand, style learning. And it has seemed. there is
with older .. more openness for some of the work to be met in different
learning skills. When each parents can make more demand.. it will make
the public have to be more aware of the change needed. It is
overwhelming to think if every parent suddenly came to school and said
.. test my child.. how overwhelmed.
The system is about handling the masses.. not whole child...
  the whole thing.. leave no child behind.. gezz.. when thats exactly
what happens to so many.. their child essence is left alone.

I was told that a learning style test was part of the iep.. why can't
each student just have that up front.. every 5 years.. for developmental
growth. They do it backwards.

With public ..Some he still dislikes.. and misses his free time.. for
creative force lead learning.. but the agreement was to finish out the
year.But he does like having more social interaction.. although he talks
about the lack of thinking so many children do.. .(theres the disabled)
Part of what led me to this group, and indigo groups. was the hopes a
collaboration of sorts, can still happen here..a nd learning what it
takes to do a Sudbury... for highschool..
thanks for your words that helped me process .my thoughts. Kim