[Discuss-sudbury-model] ADD/HD et al (WAS: question)

From: <cobys5_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Feb 17 02:48:00 2006

This is an interesting phenomenon that probably deserves, and hopefully will someday get, a rigorous independent study. I'm guessing that it doesn't come up much in relation to Sudbury modeled schools because its mainly a non-issue. The disorders you're talking about kind of melt away to insignificance in environments where people never have to spend their time doing stuff that holds no interest for them.

It's interesting that in dozens of conversations with parents we've had over the years, they almost always report that their ADD/HD-diagnosed kids can concentrate for hours on stuff they're really interested in - it's just the classroom that's a problem.

I'm interested to hear from Sudbury schools that have had some history of classroom activities, where classes that kids have demanded and set up themselves contain kids that have been so diagnosed. The question specifically might be: Would an ADD/HD diagnosed kid exhibit the familiar symptoms in a classroom setting established as the result of serious interest expressed by that kid?

Coby Smolens
Big Rock Sudbury School Staff

From: "cheryl huff" <chuff57_at_earthlink.net>
> I have been looking into the Sudbury model for months to better understand it
> and have found this discussion forum to be invaluable in the process. In the
> discussions I have seen, there has been no mention of ADD/ADHD -which means I
> may simply have missed it - and right now I am curious about this issue, as it
> relates to my son and his education. Is there any recognition of this as a
> disorder within the Sudbury model and how is it being addressed or understood?
> I would appreciate any helpful clarification/discussion.
>

> cheryl huff
chuff57_at_earthlink.net

attached mail follows:

chuff57@earthlink.net