Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] question

From: Marvin K. Mooney <dragonxbait_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Feb 16 18:04:02 2006

The whole point of the book is not that they
specialize in teaching different children or treat
them any differently. All the children at the free
school are just people, they run they play they read,
whatever they feel like doing. The point of the book
was more that a lot of children come to the school
because everything else has failed them, or their
parents are sane enough to realize there has to be
something better than drugging a seven year old, and
once there they thrive. The free school certainly is
distinct from sudbury valley, I would never argue
that, but the children there are by and large free and
respected. It would not be my first choice in the
education of my (theoretical children) but the free
school is a good place for kids, and serves a lot of
children who might fall through the cracks otherwise
(in addition to also serving lots of "normal"
children, whatever that might mean.

Courtney