RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] parental dilemma

From: Anna R <jcocolors_at_houston.rr.com>
Date: Wed Feb 15 20:32:00 2006

Hi Ann,

If the reply from Mado appeals to you, I think you will find the skills
building approach of Dr. Thomas Gordon and his widow Linda Adams of grate
assistance. Of all the books they have published the one titled “Be your
Best” is my favorite. I can share it with a child, friend, or even a new
acquaintance on the street. The message is just right for all.
www.gordontraining.com <http://www.gordontraining.com/>

I have learned much:
My husband and don’t need to be on the same page of the “parenting book”.
I can show great respect for my husbands’ strong concerns, even in his
absence, in my communications with our children. The tools I use here are
eye contact and a simple yet strong I message.
Active listening often helps me avoid attempting to takeover ownership of
the problem.
Even very young children can exercise these skills. ( www.playmountain.org
<http://www.playmountain.org/> their program starts at two years)
Conflict is natural; the unhealthy part comes from the usual methods of
dealing with it and/or attempts to avoid it.

With two cooperating adults, some modeling and mediation services three
children ages 2,4 & 5 became prime models of outstanding communication
despite frequent conflicts to their two Mothers. If such young people can
pick up on these skills in short order what are the rest of us waiting on?

Joyfully Serving , Anna Rodriguez