RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Non-coercive education

From: Anna R <jcocolors_at_houston.rr.com>
Date: Wed Feb 15 19:46:01 2006

Hello Woty,
Assuming SVS is the North Pole Of Education and typical schools with their
mandatory ...well everything; curriculum, teacher headed classes, permission
to defecate, allotted time slot to eat, ect.. ect.. is the South Pole Of
Education

If you are interested in everything from the equator northward there is much
to be found! One current and ongoing work in print is to be found at
http://www.creatinglearningcommunities.org/ . I am quite fond of one
chapter of inspiration Community Design in the Year 2012 by Patrick
Walkinshaw.

 Across the nation and beyond pioneers have paved the way developing
educational opportunities that lead to lifelong learning: 1921 Summerhill,
1949 Play Mountain Place, 1969 Albany Free School, 1971 Upattinas. Others
are working on coalitions NCACS, AERO, A Coalition For Self Learning.

In my humble opinion SVS is simply the extreme North Pole of non-coercive
education. Another source for extreme North Pole non-coercive philosophies
was TCS, Taking Children Seriously. Apparently TCS as a discussion group
was simply a research project. The three links below will fill you in.
http://www.fitz-claridge.com/TCS.html
http://www.cis.org.au/SocialPolicy/TakingChildrenSeriously/tcshome.html
http://www.cis.org.au/SocialPolicy/Social%20Foundations/sfhome.htm
Dr. Thomas Gordon and his widow Linda, author my personal favorite reading
and study sources for non-coercive philosophies. Their work branches out
into all walks of life not simply schooling (TET) and parenting (PET).
While the SVS approach works well at school, it does not work well at home
for a small family. For example: The school meeting works on quantity of
participants and voting among only three members can certainly amount to the
odd party feeling like the loser. The six steps to no-lose conflict
resolution works well whether involving 2 or 200 or even 2000. Best of all
no voting is involved! On the rare occasion we did use a vote it was only a
tool to aid those with concerns on their minds. Once the voters made a
stand as to which side they stood on, for some unclear reason, they where
able to clearly state tangible concerns or realize their objection was of an
arbitrary nature. The refreshed flow of communication quickly led us to a
resolution acceptable to all involved. www.gordontraining.com
When it comes to non-coercion I am not convinced SVS is well balanced.
Clearly SVS refrains from exercising coercion against children. And of
course there is no such thing as one size/philosophy fits all. However I
must ask, is it possible coercion, even in a mild form, is used on the
adults involved in the SVS world?

Joyfully Serving , Anna Rodriguez