[Discuss-sudbury-model] parental dilemma

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Wed Feb 15 12:44:00 2006

Hi folks,

As a Sudbury parent, I try as much as possible to incorporate the model's philosophy as home. It's not always appropriate, I realize; but we find it very healthy to maintain it as part of the foundation from which we make decisions.

For a couple of years now, I have been letting my boys decide on their own when they are ready to go to bed, versus having a "bedtime". This hasn't been working out well lately, at least as I see it now. My eleven year old has been staying up until 2am or later, making it difficult to get up in the morning. If I intervene by going upstairs many times to make sure he wakes up, etc., he can finally get up. This is very annoying, and I also don't think it's the best for his health in the long run. Those are my beliefs, anyway. I have tried the natural consequences route, leaving the house to go about my business and letting him miss school, or be really late. Most days he doesn't care. One time he left on his own to walk to school, which we don't like because there are no sidewalks and the roads are narrow, curvy, country roads to school. "Rational" discussions have made no impact. I don't want him to miss school. And he loves school, too! So.....any ideas?

On a similar vein, he chooses to be very inactive, staying indoors on DS and laptop most of the time. Yea, that's his passion. But it has now put him into a risky category health-wise.

So, unhealthy choices are being made, with little concern on his part, and much concern from the parents who love him, yet know we can't force him to do anything. Hoping you have some succes stories or wisdom to share.

Frustrated,

Ann