RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Scientific SVS

From: Eva Lobach <e.lobach_at_chello.nl>
Date: Tue Jan 24 04:38:00 2006

I agree that is it not possible to measure life.

But ... wouldn't you like the medicins that you take to be tested for
effectiveness, for instance, instead of basing your judgment on trust in the
farmaceutical companies only?
Wouldn't you like to have a good plumber repairing your leaking roof instead
of one who messes up?

It's a similar thing the moment my child and I choose a school.
On what do you base your decision?
Well, in my case, I believed in what I saw, but I am prejudiced.
Many authorities are prejudiced in the other direction and they are giving
us a really hard time.
So we need to have some kind of 'objective' measurement that may help to
instill some trust in those who try to force us back into the groove.

A measurement could simply be to count the number of people who report that
they are leading happy and fulfilling lives, like Tay, and compare that
number for graduates of different schools.

But I agree that there are many limitations to any approach that tries to
measure, but if we don't, we will still be judging. Do you know how your
judgment came about?

To me it seems that the most honest way of trying to influence the trust of
authorities is to find a relatively objective criterion that reflects what a
school like SVS does. Do you see another, equally or even more honest way?

Another thing is: in my view, it is really very interesting to try to
understand what happens on a school like SVS. What is it really, that makes
graduates from this school stand out? And what is it really, that makes many
students on regular schools feel so unhappy and full of stress?
We might think that we know, but do we really?
If you can show how it works, and try to indicate the features of the school
(if it is really to do with the school, and not, for instance, the magnetic
field around Framingham or the fact that Daniel Greenberg hangs out there)
that make graduates as effective adults, it may help to convince more
people, so there will be more schools like SVS and more people benefitting
from it.

Eva