Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] scientific backing of Sudbury

From: Sam Patton <sam_patton_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Jan 19 10:05:01 2006

Of course you can give scientific backing about the effects of regular
school!!! You can study drop out rates, college graduation rates, careers
entered, teen pregnancy rates, rate of drug use by category, suicide rates,
and a host of other objective statistics. There are a lot of things that
can be relatively easily measured. I'd be very interested to find out if
those numbers are better/worse at a democratic school. I've read "Legacy of
Trust" and very much liked it. However, similar stories can be found about
people who attend any kind of school.

A very interesting study was done on children who lived in a "school choice"
district. Those children whose parents tried to get them into the "good
school" did measurably better, whether or not they actually got in. The
study was described in "Freakonomics" (a very fun book).

sam