RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] scientific backing of Sudbury

From: Eva Lobach <e.lobach_at_chello.nl>
Date: Wed Jan 18 11:22:00 2006

Hi Sandra,

a warm hello from someone involved in De Ruimte, one of the sudbury-type
schools in Netherlands.

Since about a year we have established a contact with researchers at the
University of Leiden here in The Netherlands, who are very interested in our
school.
Very recently (ink is still wet) a first study is completed that shows that
in terms of well-being, kids at our school have much less complaints like
headaches, feeling tired, belly aches, etc.

More studies are planned.

In our situation in The Netherlands, where the government and its
representatives respond with panic and suppression to a democratic school
like ours, it seems very important to establish goodwill and enthusiasm
among scientists and others who might help to reassure the powers-that-be of
the innocence and even advantages of our approach to learning and education.

Being a scientist myself (though not in education), I feel that it is a good
idea to try to establish the quality of various forms of education, whether
"regular" or not. Granted, it is not straightforward, but it is a good
exercise in itself to establish what abilities and knowledge young adults
preferably have when they leave the school. Presumably, at that point in
their life they have become effective members of the society. This exercise
makes you reflect on how a school can help or hinder this development into
an effective adult, reasoning from the goal backwards to what it needs to
get there.
If in addition it turns out to be possible to show reliably whether a school
'delivers' these effective adults at graduation or not, we will be able to
evaluate different approaches and etablish which one is the most helpful.
This, it seems to me, is very valuable knowledge for students, parents, and
governments alike.

Eva Lobach

De Ruimte, Soest, The Netherlands

ps. Sandra, are you aware that there will be a meeting of the recently
erected Dutch "Platform of Democratic Schools" this Saturday in The
Netherlands. You can download an invitation here:
http://www.democratischescholen.nl/documenten/uitnodiging20060121.doc
The results of the study I mentioned above will be presented at this
meeting. We're hoping to build our network further and mutual collaboration
could be helpful to us both.