Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] scientific backing of Sudbury

From: David Rovner <rovners_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Wed Jan 18 09:40:01 2006

Dear Sandra,

I think you should reformulate your request. Can you give scientific backing
to a "regular" school ?
I think a good or a bad education and/or schooling are very difficult things
to demonstrate scientifically if at all.
It is more of a social and philosophical approach. Still there have been
some attempts to find out the effects on children of Sudbury education. For
instance, "Legacy of Trust: Life After the Sudbury Valley School
Experience," or "The Pursuit of Happiness: The Lives of Sudbury Valley
Alumni" -- "what becomes of students who attended Sudbury Valley as they
pursue their lives as adults? This book explores the lives of former
students who spent their formative years at the school. It examines in depth
their values, their character, and their careers, drawing extensively on
their own words. A unique contribution to the literature that evaluates
schools and educational philosophies."

See: http://www.sudval.org/02_book_06.html .
I would also suggest to take a look at, http://www.educationfutures.org/ ,
for instance.