[Discuss-sudbury-model] Published, LA Times re school attendance incentives

From: Sally Rosloff <sallyr_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon Jan 2 18:27:00 2006

Hi All,
Wanted to let you know that I responded to an article in the LA Times about
how to increase school attendance and it got published today. They even
did a quote callout and a little illustration. I mentioned Sudbury Valley
School. I'd really had it with everyone thinking that bribing kids to go
to school leads to learning that matters!

Here's the link to the original article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-attendance29dec29,1,7601165.story

Here's the letter:

Make school the place to be
Re "Absence Makes the School Go Ponder," Dec. 29

Want young people to come to school? I have the secret solution: make it a
place they want to be. Assume that learning is innate, something that
happens all the time in life, something that until forced to do, most people
enjoy and seek. Want to make sure attendance is as high as possible? Make it
optional - that is the incentive to do everything possible to make sure
people really want to be there. Dissatisfaction with the current
one-size-fits-all, top-down bureaucratic public schooling system has already
led to millions opting out completely. Take a look at Sudbury Valley School
in Massachusetts, one of the oldest successful democratic schools in the
country.
Forget tired old fixes for a creaky old system. Don't make us opt out. Let's
spend that public school money locally, creating schools unique to each
community as places where people want to be together, living life for real
and learning in the process.

SALLY ROSLOFF
Northridge

I haven't posted much recently, mostly lurk. Am also on the AERO
listserve. My husband Cooper Zale and I would love to open a learning
center type thing eventually but can't do it quite yet. Hope you're all
having a happy new year.

Sally