Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: eating

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Wed Dec 14 19:25:01 2005

Both of my boys ate healthy food until their pre-school years. I was the
epitome of Organic Mama. I remember being so proud that my kid even ate
brussel sprouts happily. Then, on their own, they started changing. I
don't think it was outside influences. I think biologically the taste buds
began to change and they began to have minds of their own, moreso. They
started turning more and more foods away, refusing to eat them. Out of
concern for not forcing them to eat what they didn't like ( it seemed the
respectful thing to do), I adjusted my standards more and more. They became
extremely picky eaters; and I have catered to it ever since. The question
has always been: have I been enabling them, or respecting their choices?
They are both very independently minded, and stubborn. I could not think of
a way for it not to become a power struggle. Everyone says, let them
starve, then. They'll eat when they're hungry! This presents such conflict
for me. I accept the responsibility,as a parent, to help manage their
health. Yet taking such a powerful stance over their food choices seems
detrimental, too.

We have had so many kids over our house who apparently do not have the same
food choices around their houses. They come and they can't get enough of
it! The teens attack it like animals. My kids will have one piece of
pastry. Their friends will eat the whole box, and more. One of my boys is
now skinny, after going thru a chunky phase. The younger one is very
overweight. We try to inform and educate. We are excellent models of
healthy eating and exercise ourselves. Yet he is developmentally where he's
at ( not caring enough ) and has a mind of his own that no one can
influence.

Not trying to suggest anything here. Just sharing my experience and my
frustrations.

Ann Ide