RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] "For the child's own good"?

From: Marilu Diaz <madiaz_at_puertorico.fcb.com>
Date: Tue Dec 13 19:43:01 2005

When it comes to diet there may be clear threats that we must address, such
as chronic health family history (diabetes/hypoglycemia, obesity, etc.) in
addition to well known health offenders (smoke, carcinogens, etc, etc, etc).
My daughter is 6 year old and already addicted to refined sugars via
birthday parties and the typical well intentioned people everywhere that
keep offering her candy. EVERYONE in my family has some kind of related
condition (diabetes or hypoglycemia, including child diabetes in all my
nieces/nephews). In addition, my daughter is becoming overweight. Should I
keep letting her choose her fate? How far should her freedom go, since she
does not understand the long term consequence of her binges?