Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Starting an SVS in NYC

From: Jeff Collins <jcollins_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Tue Dec 13 14:26:00 2005

Hi Mercer,

Here are the differences between the BFS and a Sudbury school as I see
them (if there is anyone from the BFS reading this, please feel free to
correct any misimpressions that I have).

    * The BFS staff are chosen by the director of the school instead of
      by an election by the school members.
    * The BFS staff are obligated to offer classes or other activities.
      Students are not required to participate in these activities.
    * The BFS students do not participate in the creation and operation
      of the school laws. That is there is no weekly school meeting
      where laws are determined and there is no daily JC (or the
      equivalent) that investigates and adjudicates possible rule
      violations.
    * There seems to be underlying lack of trust that students can
      really direct their education free of oversight from a trained
      educator.

It is not my intention to pass any judgment on the BFS by my attempt to
describe the differences. Our school and BFS talk to each other
periodically and both of our schools believe very strongly that children
should be treated with respect and educated accordingly - we just have
slightly different ideas on the best way to do this.

Jeff Collins
HVSS