RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] "For the child's own good"?

From: Joseph Moore <joseph_at_ivorycc.com>
Date: Mon Dec 12 15:21:00 2005

Matt,

This question does get right to the heart of the matter. We make, I
think, two assertions or assumptions about children: first, that
children have rights, including the right to choose what to learn about.
Second, that children are highly motivated to become competent in their
environment.

The first is purely philosophical, in my opinion, in that it is more a
way of looking at things than anything you can demonstrate in the
physical world. The second is easier to get at, as anyone who has been
around really small children can very easily see that they devote
enormous energy and persistence to mastering one essential task after
another, until, almost suddenly, they are walking, talking, reasoning
beings - at which point, traditional education assumes that they have
lost all natural desire to learn and need to be lead by the nose through
some curriculum or other.

But I digress.

We take for granted, on the other hand, that a 5 year old is perfectly
capable - in fact, is the only one capable - of figuring out what she
need to know and figuring out how to learn it.

So, to stand the issue on its head: what are you worried about kids NOT
learning, so much so that adults are bound to intervene with force?
Algebra? I mean, really, what's out there that is so necessary for life
that kids should be forced to learn it, that kids can 1) be made to
learn in school; and 2) simply will not learn otherwise?

Seems to me that list has no items on it.

Joseph