Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] "For the child's own good"?

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Dec 11 21:34:00 2005

The inherent problem with "for your own good" is the source of the choice. Vaccinations is an interesting subject to bring up. I had my first child vaccinated, half way through the process with my second child I decided against this assault on the immune system due to personal research. When asked if I had refrained from giving shots to my child for religious reasons, by a medical professional when in the emergency ward, i replied, "No, for intelligent reasons." My third child never had any shots. Well guess what? They all three got Whooping Cough as young children. Now they have excellent antibodies against this disease. I used to tell my kids they needed to go their rooms by ten so I could get some sleep. They just needed to give me my rest. The medical field has consistently dominated the mind-set of the modern thinking, caring parent. How could you possible go without health insurance. How could you not, "Ask your doctor" for everything under the sun? I realized at some point when I was consulting "the best" doctor I could find for my daughter's Lazy-Eye at Children's Hospital that he had been educated in a system in which I had not found much personal value. Despite the "best" position he held, he was constitutionaly unable to admit that no one knows why the body does not use one eye. The great irony here is that my experiences raising my children have educated me. Just being honest with my children that Imay need them to do something for my own good is all that I found necessary in general. It is important to note that the process of raising children and teaching them requires constant vigilence and response. Not forcing them does not mean that one does nothing. It means that one needs to listen first, observe, and wait and see what they have to teach you.
Carol