RE: Sheep (Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] tv and thinking)

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Thu Dec 8 10:58:15 2005

This "sheep" sub-thread actually brings up a key point about
the idea of non-coercive education as practiced in the
Sudbury model. *And* the reason why most supporters of the
Sudbury model believe that access to new media (including
TV, video games, etcetera) is key to the model.

The primary difference between the Sudbury model and *every*
other school that *ever* existed, is that *every* other
school believes in some form of curriculum. That is,
believes that there are some key set of ideas and ideals
that are key to being human, that group A ( the educators)
must make sure that group B (the educated) receive.

Schools that self-proclaim as free (e.g. Summerhill) often
believe that the best rout to that is gentle nudging, and
getting people to *accept* the wisdom of entering into this
or that course of study. But this is not the Sudbury way.

In Sudbury schools, we believe that each human animal
(leaving aside the tiny *tiny* minority of people that
present some real neurological or psychological pathology)
*always* has a better idea of how to spend it's own time
than any other person does.

The idea that in order to be seen as a fully rational /
competent person, one needs must meet certain criterion
(e.g. "X knowledge of math or history," or seeing the Bush
administration as a "group of liars, murderers, and
thieves") is a key of schools oriented around a curriculum.
The fundamental difference between *most* schools, is *what*
that curriculum is.

Sudbury schools simply abandon the idea that one person or
group should ever have authority to decide what is important
for another person or group.

And that's why generally Sudbury advocates have no truck
with TV, or video games, or ballet, or modern art, or jazz
-- whatever their *personal* reactions to or understandings
of those media.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray_at_sudval.org