RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] tv and thinking

From: Jesse Gallagher <fomajes_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Dec 6 22:33:01 2005

Scott, I'm sorry that you thought it rude of me to address a couple of points that were at the fore of my consciousness when I had the time to. I really did mean it when I said your posts required a more thorough response than I was able to provide between lunch and taking the kids to martial arts class.

 From the tone of your most recent post, I'm not sure if you *do* want to be presented with the source material upon which my opinions (or convictions, if you're feeling generous--which appears unlikely) are based, nor with the full substance and scope of those opinions.

 I'm not interested in engaging in a lengthy and fruitless debate with a TV loyalist or two. I'm also not interested in introducing any rancor into this forum.

 If you are, or anyone else is, sincerely interested in hearing my point of view on television, I'll be happy to share, but I'm not interested in entering another pissing contest on the matter. I really don't need to be reminded of just how far I can piss.

 I realize that television is a sensitive subject for most people. I'm not here to act as the television police.

 Do what you feel is right.

 For those interested in further investigation, Jerry Mander's "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television" is wonderful, as is his "In The Absence of The Sacred", and Bill Mckibben's "The Age of Missing Information".

 Best to all,

 Jesse