RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] tv and thinking

From: Jesse Gallagher <fomajes_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Dec 6 12:35:01 2005

Hi Scott and Ann,

 I'm on my way out the door and can't deliver the thorough responses that your emails require, but let me just address two small points now. I'll get to the rest later today, I hope.

 Scott, I totally agree with you in one respect. Our culture *is* heavily grounded in television programming. I can't spend time with many people, adults or children, whose language and archetypes have not been bequeathed them by the gods of the TV. I also can't count the number of conversations I have overheard (but been unable to participate in) that were concerned solely with the make-believe problems and make-believe triumphs of make-believe people. That point demands further elaboration, but later.

 Unlike you, I think, I am deeply disturbed by the profound influence that television programming has come to have in our society in such a short period of time. It's powers are of a differrent degree altogether than the powers of print--poetry or prose. You'll have to concede that as a misleading and inaccurate comparison, or we'll be unable to discuss the matter any further.

 The ubiquity of television-created and television-delivered realities and values is, to me, an ominous development and not at all evidence that television viewing is an important aspect of the healthy development of children.

 Ann, though I agree that "research" must constantly be questioned and evaluated, your post seemed to dismiss research out of hand as being unreliable. I don't think you meant to make such a general accusation, particularly with a technoligal marvel at your fingertips that owes its very existence to said unreliable research. That small point aside, I wonder how it is you can confidently determine that TV's effects are simply technological and not sociological. Even devices with a far less direct impact on human culture--such as the blender--exert a sociological impact that really can't be measured in any meaningful way. For the televison's impact to be limited to its technological operation is simply unthinkable to me.

 OK, I'm pushing tardiness, so I'm off.

 Jesse

Yahoo! Shopping