Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] tv and thinking

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Tue Dec 6 11:00:00 2005

I have always questioned "research"...on anything. I'm sure there was
plenty of "research" that went into the public school curriculums and
behavior management of children.

My children have always self-managed their tv watching. There have been
periods when they watched many hours a day. They are also, in my opinion,
quite intelligent, deep thinkers. They may not manifest creativity in the
form of music and art; but I think creativity takes many, many forms. One
son is very creative with people, and has a philosophical nature. The other
is very creative with the computer, in his own way. At least I think so.
Recently, he had been watching anime ( which he resourcefully downloaded
from Japanese sites ) for hours and hours. Sat in bed with it all day and
night. Now he wants to learn to draw manga and learn Japanese. Their tv
watching has always fit in their life dynamics in some way. When they were
little, it would provide a take-off for their "pretend/imaginary" play with
their friends (and themselves). Much of it was very mythological in nature,
according to my "filters", anyway.

Child "advocates" also advice we limit childrens' access to tv, computer and
videos to 2 hours/day so they will be more activeand have healthier bodies.
I'm sorry; some kids just are not the active type, no matter what you do.
Take those away, and my son will only find something else to do sitting; but
probably with much less interest and passion and with plenty of resentment.
How come they don't say to limit reading, or drawing, to 2 hours a day to
promote healthy bodies?

I'm sure that some kids who watch tv may be less creative, or think less for
themselves. I'm also sure that there are people like that who don't watch
tv! I wonder if somehow tv has become a scapegoat for something much more
elusive that maybe we are missing, and maybe is much more important. Good
chance it's something more sociological than technological.

Tallyho,

Ann Ide