RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Learning piano?

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Tue Dec 6 00:36:20 2005

Joseph,

I think you have nailed it here! We have no right to force kids to play an
instrument and they have no right to force us to pay for lessons they have
no interest in. I think people often confuse not taking away kids' freedom
with imposing restrictions on the adults around them.

Instrument practice, like homework of any kind, is such a fascinating thing.
I remember when I was a teacher but before I helped to found The Highland
School. Kids would often ask for homework simply because they thought they
were "spozed" to do it. When I would say, "Well, then take something home
and work on it!" They would almost always respond, "But you're spozed to
assign it!" I think this was so that they could not do it and then feel
righteous about not doing what Teacher had assigned them. In my system, they
"assigned" themselves any homework they did. It's hard to rebel against
something one has decided to do oneself!

~Alan Klein