Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Matt's question

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Mon Dec 5 15:52:00 2005

This reminds me of how in Puritan England, plum pudding was made
illegal for a while because it was so sinfully rich.

Anyway, you have a good point, Scott. It's very much like the argument
of whether heavy metal makes kids kill people, et cetera. I mean, when
I use watching TV as a way to not have to think about anything or move
at all, I have no one but myself to blame for how I feel after a few
hours. But then, I can totally enjoy watching stuff on a monitor and
stay engaged and thoughtful, and learn from it. It's usually all about
what my mood is when I sit down.

Ideally, life is usually good enough that we always sit down interested
and ready to think, rather than exhausted and ready to shut down.
Having a life that is based on consent and engagement is pretty key in
determining which of those is going to be the mood we're more likely to
be in, at any age.

-Tay