Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Matt's question

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Mon Dec 5 14:17:12 2005

  And, really, what is the big deal if people *do* want to
play video games or watch TV? Is this really a worse way to
spend one's time than browing at a museum? Than listening to
music? Than enjoying any sort of art?

  Three of my house-mates (there are six of us altogether)
are QA for Turbine. So, they are paid, proessional, video
game players. That is their job. They love their work, and
provide something with aesthetic value to others. Is this
less valuable, honest work than producing film? Than editing
text? Than painting pictures?

To quote Marshall McLuhan:
  "The student of media soon comes to expect the new media
of any period whatever to be classed as pseudo by those who
acquired the patterns of earlier media, whatever they may
happen to be.
  Or, in other words: TV and video games are different media
than music, movies or books. Not innately lesser. If you
can't understand what others are getting out the new medium,
at least don't begrudge them or deny them that media.

  I have never seen *any* evidence that television
negatively impacts anyone. None. And I worked for years in
the field of psychology. One of my dearest friends has
worked for years on the interesting phenomena of *play*, in
the immediate aftermath of watching media, being influenced
by the contents of that media -- and has been working hard
to debunk the pop-psych frauds that like to suggest mistaken
headlines from this research "link between violence and
television."

  Really. What is the *evidence* for all this stuff that
people just *assume* when they talk about TV and games?
  Where does the claim that TV is "something that is not
good for his brain development" spring from? Or that, at
least to some people, games aren't "more interesting" than
something else? Or that "if it's the same game for a month,
they'll want to throw the whole system away?"

  This stuff is just such a red herring. Really. TV and
video games are the latest proxies for debates about what
(if any) media should be controlled *for* one group *by*
another group.
  Debates that have been going back for years. Debates that
are older than the bonfire of the vanities, in which
churchmen burned books such as the decameron, and art, and
perfumes, on the claim that such "vanities" led people away
from God. Debates older than the Council of Nicea, which
decided what views and opinions needed to be repressed by
christians. Debates that go back to the ancient practice
that only particular castes (priests and scribes) should be
*allowed* to read and write.

  For the record, I personally love the mediums of video
games (playing "Civ IV" now, and "Psychonauts" now),
television (watching "Lost" and "Monk"), film, most fine
art, most dance, music, comic books, conversation, poetry,
and prose. I have only the barest reckoning of the way in
which messages are conveyed through the medium of modern art
or through ballet -- but the fact that *I* am ignorant does
not mean that I should claim (as some fools do) that modern
art is *bad* for people.