Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Learning piano?

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon Dec 5 13:59:01 2005

Hi Matt,
I teach piano and vocal coach. Wish I had a nickel for every person I meet
who quit taking lessons cause they didn't like their teacher/music/needto
practice. I have never ever met a musician who was really good and enjoying
it and playing for his passion, who is doing it because he was forced to
practice. I have met a number of people who play really lousy because they
weren't given the tools to practice in a way that worked for them. I have
42 students right now. About one third of them do not want to learn to read
music yet. About one third of those are playing great pieces like 12 bar
blues, Moonlight Sonata, etc. When they want the tool of reading music, it
will only take about a couple of months to learn it. But in the meantime
some of them have been learning by wrote how to play some pretty fabulous
pieces. A number of my students are starting to practice as I'm leaving.
Forced learning is particularly non-productive with music. I start kids
right off with composing. They play it, I write it down. Pretty cool stuff
happens this way. I tell the parents that I don't want them to be the
practice police. Reminders maybe, but no more. It's my job to give them
something to do that excites them. I tell first lesson students I have one
very important rule. They must absolutely must have fun. There's a lot of
laughter in my lessons. Joy and music are synonyms. If not, it's just a
matter of time before they quit. If someone wants their child to play an
instrument, then take them to hear live music. Play it yourself. The
desire has to come from the child. That's my job, to be aware of what is
and is not working for them. A lot of musicians have been taught in a very
rigid way themselves and simply pass it on. I was damn lucky to have a
teacher who saw my talent and challenged me like all get out. Gotta go now.
Just bought myself a brand new 7' grande. Hey, I have to fill my cup with
joy in order to give it out.
Carol