Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Learning piano?

From: Becky Moon <beckyms_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Dec 5 13:16:00 2005

----
> You know, that's not actually my question. I think I
> already have a feel for how you'd answer that
> one. Here's the real question I think I want to ask:
> If you have 8-year old kids and you make them
> practice piano 30 minutes a day (despite any
> resistance they may put up), the kids may hate it at
> the time, but by the time they're 16 they'll almost
> surely be REALLY happy that they can play the
> piano pretty well. What would you say about that?
> Where's the harm? I know that it goes COMPLETELY
> against the Sudbury model, but still... Small price
> to pay, maybe? Or does it completely ruin the
> adult/child relationship? Or destroy a child's sense
> of his or her own power in life? (And not to
> mention that trying to get a kid, or anyone else for
> that matter, to do something that he/she
> doesn't want to do is NO fun at ALL...) I don't
> doubt that there IS harm done, I just can't seem
> to find it myself. So I'm asking you.

----
I'm not sure where I stand anymore on coercion and
"forced" learning, but a few questions arose when
thinking over your questions.
Why stop with piano? What if you had your child work
for 30 minutes per day on writing fiction? Gardening?
Swimming? Drawing? Accounting? Singing? Would it be
better to pick just one subject to force study on just
to "teach" them the benefits of studying something
even if they don't particularly enjoy it at first and
leave all the rest to the child? Which subject? How
important is it to be good at any of those things? At
any one thing?
always curious,
Becky