Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Toddlers and TV

From: Madeleine Hesselink <madociel_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Dec 5 13:06:00 2005

We did not have a tv in the house while I was growing up. This is another case of--I really wanted one when I was a kid, but now I am glad that my parents did not have one. I spent a lot more time reading and playing outside than many of my peers and I beleive that this has helped me in many ways, which I don't have time to go into now.

 Now with my daughter (age 3) we also don't have a tv. I don't limit her when she goes to friends' houses, but it is not available to her on a daily basis. I do have a computer that plays dvds and ocassionally we get movies, but I borrow and don't own them. Whenever I have one for any length of time, I notice that she begins to ask for it incessantly and if I let her watch it as much as she wants she gets very grumpy and it is no fun for me to be around her. So my self-defense is to just get movies maybe twice a month or so. She really appreciates them when she gets them, but we don't have to struggle over it. Of course this may change as she gets older and starts pestering me to rent them... But for now it is a nice balance.