[Discuss-sudbury-model] Matt's question

From: Dr. Evan Hughes <evanhughes_at_juno.com>
Date: Mon Dec 5 12:52:01 2005

     Dear Matt,
     One way children learn about mastery and the time it takes to get there is by being around other children who have mastered something them self. I just watched my sister in a dance performance and the emotion that came up was about me becoming a better chiropractor and practicing more kung-fu. I'm sure when she's getting adjusted, or watching me do kung-fu she is thinking about practicing dance moves-we inspire each other.
      I feel that something is only difficult if 1-You're worried about looking foolish and 2-if your not having fun/you haven't found the joy in it. When you find something that is your passion and you've been inspired to it, the difficulty becomes a reason to practice more, not the other way around-this is only true however when the desire is found from the inside out.
      The "price to pay" of forcing the energy of a child in to practice something according to an authority's will can be seen by looking out your window-depression runs rampant, people are scared of losing their jobs because they can't see learning anything else, how many people hate their jobs for that matter!? Broken homes because the parents where doing what they thought they where suppose to do for years-had kids-then figured out that they need to live their truth, and how many people do you know that have a master level of any skill other then their career(If they even have that?)
      Now, lets look at the alternative; If our children are allowed to find along the way that thing inside them which can not be taught, that thing that says "I can be anything I WANT to be, all it takes is time." Poof. They start the path. No, it's not a perfect path, but what a chance they have! These are the Einsteins, these are the Ludwig van Beethovens, these are the Gandis. Being without passion and doing what your told is always an option-and you don't need to start this option early in life.
"Or destroy a child's sense of his or her own power in life?" I think that's the key Matt! I've never seen ANY student fail out of college because of stupidity. I've seen a number people fail out college because their emotions got the better of them-they wanted out on a sub-conscious level and didn't have the personal power to say no! The same is true of business/careers. Now are there some children who will find it within them regardless of the crap we try and pull as educators? of course. Human beings always find a way. It's what we do. The point of SVS is do as little interference as possible to an already perfect system (self discovery) and watch what happens.
 What happens if you enforce a practice regiment from the outside in, is the child/student will do what is required and nothing more. What if your child was allowed to play video games for as long as they liked? How long would they play? 3 hours? 4 hours? 5 hours Straight, no breaks, running to the bathroom and getting back as fast as possible and no food/water... "Are you tired honey?" "No Mom, I'm playing." Now, if you will, take that inspiration, intensity, focus and passion and add it to a skill or ability of CHOICE. THAT, is the power of freedom-of the mind that is.
    Hey, if you don't want your kids to play so many video games and put their focus in to other things, tell them Dr. Hughes says you need to practice the same game *every day* for 1 hour to develop hand-eye coordination and mental focus to avoid the affects of ADD. If it's the same game for a month, they'll want to throw the whole system away... just you watch. Please don't use my first name however so I can walk the SVS campus without being killed : )
Evan (SVS alumni)