Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Toddlers and TV

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Mon Dec 5 12:42:00 2005

When I was a kid my parents seriously curtailed my TV watching. In
retrospect, I am grateful. But I dunno if I would curtail my own kid's
TV watching. Maybe.

One alternative I can think of is that you watch the shows yourself and
ask him about what he gets from the shows. Does he like the characters?
You might suggest playing with friends more, or you could suggest that
you can read him stories that have interesting characters in them.

Or, for example, I know Dora is always going on little adventures.
Maybe he'd like to go on some adventures in the world-- hikes, or trips
to places you don't usually go?

I think I'd probably take the persuasive "isnt this more interesting"
method over the "nonono" method. My brother does that with his son
Darrow, and it seems to work really well for their family. Then, if
Darrow puts his foot down, they consistently respect his wishes.

Cheers!
Tay

On 5 Dec, 2005, at 12.28, Mercer Carlin wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been on this email list for a few months now and loving it.
> Thank you to all who have shared their thoughts and insights!
>
> I have been a big fan of the SVS world since reading Free At Last a
> bunch of years ago and have read more from the SVS library since.  I
> am also in the process of putting together a group of like minded
> folks in NYC who are interested in starting a school.  My son is 2 and
> I will either unschool him or send him to a democratic free school
> when the time comes.
>
> My post today is about TV.  My spouse and I had always thought that if
> we did not watch a lot of TV, he would not be interested in it until
> he got older.  He learned about Dora and a few other shows at friends'
> houses.   So when he asked to watch them at home, I said yes since I
> have always let him guide his world a! s much as possible.  He is now
> watching about 2 shows a day (sometimes more).  On the one hand, I
> totally trust him to determine what works for him and he seems to know
> when he is done and ready to do something else.  On the other hand, I
> am concerned that I am allowing him to do something that is not good
> for his brain development and should be curtailed to some extent until
> he is a little older.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mercer Carlin