[Discuss-sudbury-model] Toddlers and TV

From: Mercer Carlin <mercerfcarlin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Dec 5 12:29:00 2005

Hello everyone,

  I have been on this email list for a few months now and loving it. Thank you to all who have shared their thoughts and insights!

  I have been a big fan of the SVS world since reading Free At Last a bunch of years ago and have read more from the SVS library since. I am also in the process of putting together a group of like minded folks in NYC who are interested in starting a school. My son is 2 and I will either unschool him or send him to a democratic free school when the time comes.

  My post today is about TV. My spouse and I had always thought that if we did not watch a lot of TV, he would not be interested in it until he got older. He learned about Dora and a few other shows at friends' houses. So when he asked to watch them at home, I said yes since I have always let him guide his world as much as possible. He is now watching about 2 shows a day (sometimes more). On the one hand, I totally trust him to determine what works for him and he seems to know when he is done and ready to do something else. On the other hand, I am concerned that I am allowing him to do something that is not good for his brain development and should be curtailed to some extent until he is a little older.

  Any thoughts?

  Thanks in advance.

  Mercer Carlin
  Mother of 2 year old Timothy