RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] (biased)

From: Coby Smolens <cobys5_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Nov 19 15:50:00 2005

At Big Rock Sudbury School (northern California - see http://bigrock.org)
"truancy" per se is not an issue, since attendance requirements for a
private school are up to the school itself. Internally we require a minimum
of 24 hours per week, at least 4 hours daily. We don't enforce this. There
is no problem taking a day off now and then. Attendance Clerk's procedures
require that people call in by 11 AM if someone is going to be absent. Our
attendance requirement is strictly about maintaining a sense of community
within the school. If someone habitually spends much less time here, it
starts to feel like they aren't really a part of the scene, and we begin to
wonder why they are paying tuition to be here. Chronic low attendance will
lead eventually to someone, probably the Attendance Clerk, having a talk
with the person about what's going on with them, and perhaps eventually
bringing the fact up at School Meeting as a discussion item. So far, in our
two and a half years of operation, no one has been asked to leave because of
lack of attendance. People have been removed for other reasons, and those
people have sometimes stopped coming to school before the final shoe dropped
- but lack of attendance was never the cause for dismissal.

Coby Smolens,
Admissions Clerk/Registrar
Big Rock Sudbury School
1055 Las Ovejas Ave #14