Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] (biased)

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Sat Nov 19 14:47:01 2005

> So accreditation/attendance is what makes the difference with respect
> to truancy? I would have to add accreditation requirements for my
> state onto my research list!

Well, I think the laws differ from state to state, and all schools
chose on their own how to tackle this issue. There's some interplay
between what the laws are, and what the school meeting members want the
school to be like. I think there are several legal options, but I do
not know exactly what they are.

I wonder if any recent founders, like Mado of Katuah Sudbury, have any
comments about how schools other than SVS have handled truancy? I think
that sometimes new schools have something going on like, a bunch of
homeschoolers who have dealt with truancy on an individual basis get
together for a homeschooling group that evolves into a Sudbury school,
and by the time anyone notices that the group has become formalised,
they have non-profit status and are officially a school. But honestly,
I only know how SVS deals with it. I'm not sure attendance and
accreditation are necessarily required to evade issues with truancy.

-Tay

http://www.tayarrowsherman.com/
http://www.olio-academy.com/