Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] (biased)

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Sat Nov 19 14:04:00 2005

I think that if there were kids who were into it, you could certainly
do such a thing. There is a woman in LA who wants to start a
French/English bilingual Sudbury with an emphasis on farming and
homesteading activities. I'm also pretty interested in that type of
Sudbury, personally. The thing to keep in mind is that you need
interested students. It's also not quite a Sudbury... the main premise
of the Sudbury model is that you start with nothing and build
democratically... and such schools obviously have founding agendas
created by parents and administrators. However, as the Sudbury model
becomes more prevalent, I think we'll see more schools popping up that
resemble Sudbury schools but are field-specific. Not a lot exists so
far, but it's all so new anyway. I'd love to see what happens with
these schools.

Here's what I think would be kind of interesting. Several
field-specific Sudbury schools around the country and an accessible,
organised exchange program that would offer students a chance to go to
these different schools from other Sudbury schools, if they wanted to.
So you could be at Katuah Sudbury, or Blue Mountain, and go down to
Louisiana and do French immersion for a year and then go back, and then
later if you wanted you could go do a year on natural history in
Ontario. I think that would have been appealing to a lot of SVS kids in
my day, myself included. It's obviously an idea that would require a
lot of networking and organisation, but on the other hand it would
allow such schools to draw on a pre-existing student body around the
continent or possibly the world for some of their enrolment.

Regarding being truant-- it's different for all schools. I could only
tell you what it's like for SVS-- it's accredited and has attendance
requirements, so it's pretty much normal school in that respect. A
major difference is that you check yourself in when you arrive. Of
course, this bugs some people.

-Tay