[Discuss-sudbury-model] what would you do?

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Thu Nov 10 20:59:00 2005

Hi all,

My eleven year old son has a strong interest in learning to draw Japanese Manga. There are some older students at school who know how, and are quite good at it. However, he says he is too shy to ask them, so he is just resigning about it. He also wants to learn Japanese, but was told by a staff that she didn't know anyone at school who knew it and he should just do a search on it. And that was the end of that...at school, anyway. He still persists about it at home, and does what he can on his own with library books and on-line. But it's not really enough. In the past, he wanted to get some Improv going; but that went nowhere, too. This dismays me. Is there any point when it is appropriate for me to intervene? If he hasn't developed the assertiveness, and belief in the possibility, for it to happen, do we just let it go until/if he does? Everything written about the model says it is a place where students can pursue their interests. Obviously his other interests are being satisfied there; but what about these which require a bit more to make them happen? It doesn't seem right that we should have to pursue such things outside of school. I understand the staff can't cover every interest. Therefore, shouldn't outside resources be brought in, especially if we pay extra to cover the extra cost?

What thoughts do you have about this?

Thanks,
Ann Ide