Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] compulsory element of sudbury model

From: Karen Locke <klocke_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Sat Oct 15 20:41:00 2005

Hi Melissa,

I remember you from visiting your school in Illinois. Thanks for being so
thorough in your analysis.

I was a homeschooler/unschooler who thought I wanted a Sudbury school but
could never find enough people to actually do it. My kids actually went to
public school when they got older because of the need for social network
(among other things like dad pressure :)

I think some of it is money - I know many of the people I knew didn't want
to pay for letting kids play, when they could do that at home or for less
money with friends. It reminds me of something that was said about low
childcare wages - women are paid poorly because they're willing to do the
work for that amount of money. If something is highly desirable (and I
think the original Sudbury partly is desirable because of building, grounds,
and location in addition to staff) then it can charge lots of money. If
not, then it won't get lots of takers.

I think it's hard to be on that "far-out" edge, and sometimes people only
hold out for a few years and it collapses. It's like wingwalking on a
plane, I think :)

Thanks for holding out there in Illinois and doing things for kids around
you. Whatever the form, I'm sure it's meeting needs and will evolve for the
better.

Karen Locke