RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] compulsory element of sudbury model

From: Eli Roth <eliroth_at_cwo.com>
Date: Wed Oct 12 12:08:01 2005

My daughter is a part-time attendee at a Sudbury school. To my knowledge,
her part-time attendance has created no problems for the school or other
students. She attends three days each week on a set schedule that includes
the day of the weekly mandatory school meeting. She is currently serving
on the Judicial Committee and today, one of her days away from the school,
we are missing an excursion meeting. I'm sure we will get the information
from that meeting tomorrow and she has already given her input for the
meeting. Perhaps she is missing out on some of the decision-making process,
but we consider that a small price to pay for the opportunity to spend time
together during the week. I do not consider her part-time attendance as an
attempt to avoid the "scut" or taking more from the community than she gives
to the community. It simply works best in our family's schedule.

Eli

  _____