Re: Conservatives (Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Extreme examples of traditional schools)

From: Karen Locke <klocke_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Wed Oct 12 10:48:01 2005

Sorry, I meant educationally conservative - thinking that schools are
supposed to stay the way they are, or go back to "the good old days". That
was the problem - their mental model of school was still there, even if they
on principle thought kids should be given more choices . That's what we ran
into a lot - kids should be given choices, but they should only pick the
ones that felt "educational" to the parents.

I think Sudbury gets that sometimes too - I remember stories about taking
down a bulletin board that contained class announcements, because parents
would come in, see the classes, and then pressure their kids to take them.
I think I remember that?

Karen