Conservatives (Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Extreme examples of traditional schools)

From: Woty <woty_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue Oct 11 22:52:00 2005

On Oct 11, 2005, at 20:08, Karen Locke wrote:

> To me there needs to be this same menu available for families and
> children. I think Sudbury needs to be there, and sometime in my
> life I'd like to help start one here. There are other options
> needed for people sho can't quite "go there", often because their
> background is too limited. For example, we started a part-time,
> unschooler program like some have talked about on this list. We
> had a family come from a really conservative background - the
> father had gone to West Point. Needless to say this wasn't a very
> comfortable fit, no matter how gung-ho they were at the start of
> our program!

Maybe I don't properly understand your program, but it's not at all
obvious that this would be the case.

There is no conflict between supporting or participating in a Sudbury
model school and being politically/socially conservative, having
found conventional educational institutions useful in one's own life,
or serving in the military.

What was the problem?

~Woty