Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] compulsory element of sudbury model

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Tue Oct 11 16:44:00 2005

I don't think you can filter out life, or say that some aspects of life
are real and some are just a model of life.

It seems to me that the main thing you would definitely get out of
Sudbury schooling that you may or may not get out of unschooling is an
experience with a larger community.

Talking about drop-in attendance has had me thinking about the Sudbury
Valley School "tours". Maybe some of you have been on these. The school
offers tours for people who want to start up Sudbury schools. It's kind
of disruptive, but people in the school's community support it for a
number of reasons. So I am wondering if there are SVS students staff
or alumni who have any strong feelings about what it's like to be a
part of a community that is being "toured", and if there's anyone who
has done a "tour" who remembers how they felt about their relationship
to the SVS community while they were there.

When I visited SVS years after I graduated, I didn't know anyone but
the staff. I felt sort of disconnected-- it was GREAT to be there, but
also a little dreamlike. I always thought that all our "tourists"
seemed like they were sort of spaced out in a happy way, when I was
attending SVS, and as a returning adult I got the same way! It's
interesting. I feel connected to the SVS community in a really strong
way, but I know that because I am not "in the trenches", there is a
great thing I am missing out on that I wouldn't get back into without
immersion.

-Tay

http://www.tayarrowsherman.com/
http://www.olio-academy.com/