Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] All children being gifted

From: David Rovner <rovners_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Tue Oct 11 05:49:00 2005

"Imagine for a moment that you are visiting a plant nursery. You hear a commotion outside, so you investigate. You find a young assistant struggling with a rose bush. He is trying to force open the petals of a rose, and muttering in frustration. You ask him what he is doing, and he explains, "My boss wants all these roses to bloom this week, so last week I taped all the early ones, and now I'm opening the late ones." You protest that every rose has it's own schedule of blooming; it is absurd to try to slow down or speed this up; it doesn't matter when roses bloom; a rose will always bloom at its own best time. You look at the rose again, and see that it is wilting. But when you point this out, he replies, "Oh, too bad, it has genetic dysbloomia. I'll have to call an expert." "No, no!" you say, "you caused the wilting! All you needed to do was meet the flowers' needs for water and sunshine, and leave the rest to nature!" You can't believe this is happening. Why is his boss so unrealistic and uninformed about roses?

Such a scene would never take place in a nursery, of course, but it happens daily in our schools. Teachers, pressured by their bosses, follow official timetables, which demand that all children learn at the same rate, and in the same way. Yet children are no different than roses in their development: they are born with the capacity and desire to learn, they learn at different rates, and they learn in different ways. If we can meet their needs, provide a safe, nurturing environment, and keep from interfering with our doubts, anxieties, and arbitrary timetables, then- like roses- they will all bloom at their own best time."

[. . .]

"'Labeling is disabling' because children believe what we tell them. If we must label something, let it be the learning environment, not the learner:"

[. . .]

"Every child is a gifted child."

http://www.naturalchild.com/jan_hunt/learning.html

See also, "ADHD -- Acquired Educational Deficiency Syndrome - AEDS"
http://www.sudval.org/pipermail/discuss-sudbury-model/2002-September/000038.html

Acquired Educational Deficiency Syndrome - AEDS
http://www.ima.org.il/Ima/FormStorage/Type3/02-03-13a.pdf (new URL) (Hebrew) (pdf - acrobat reader)

~ David