Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] compulsory element of sudbury model

From: Shelli Buhr <shellibuhr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Oct 11 02:24:01 2005

Carol,

Very well said. I am not stating I agree with you and
not Molly. I identify with what you have written.

I am having a hard time identifying with unschooling.
I have a hard time getting the concept of part time or
drop in participation in school even though I know it
was merely thrown out there in context with
attendance.

I guess I equate my understanding of school as 'in
preparation of' adult life. I dont know if my judgment
of 'being responsible' enables me the flexibility to
be a drop in employee, or a part time parent as I
equate a lot of emphasis on responsibility.

I can see that clearly it is working for Molly, in
fact, I really like how it is opening your children to
really become part of their community and I think that
is fantastic.

But here is my inner critic asking questions... How do
individual needs get addressed? Is there a lack of
structure (foundation) necessary to build on? Are they
doing what they want or what the group is doing, or
are they doing this because this alternative
unschooling is incomparable to the concept of any kind
of structured education?

It comes down to this... I personally dont know if I
am that courageous to simply allow that much freedom.

I guess there are times in life when part of my growth
came when I have to do things that are not good or fun
or pleasing, but are good for me and are in my best
interest. Only then, I would have lacked the
experience or knowledge or simply thought that I knew
better or enough to make the right choice for me at
that time.

Carol, something else that you said triggered and
"Aha" sense in me. "it disrupts the flow." The process
of "IS" the flow.

For me, I tried imagining myself at work; it would be
hard to get something accomplished, especially if
there was a pre-defined group effort, if an outside
force came in and lended its influence without regard
to 'the flow' of what already was.

Shelli