Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] compulsory element of sudbury model

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon Oct 10 21:26:00 2005

What if I asked you to let any of the kids at an SVS school join in with your kids projects or activities whenever the mood struck them? What if your child didn't happen to particularly like the personality of the child who wanted to jump in with your child's activity? If you paid for the supplies, how would you handle the expenses? I just don't get why you think this is a good idea. If I had a job and someone wanted to participate in my work whenever they liked, it would drive me nuts. SVS frequently has people who want to come have a look and participate in the school day. When the adult, child, sibling, visitor, media or whatever is not a day-to-day part of the community it disrupts the flow. SVS is a community, a way of life, a home, a work in progress. Changing that balance that is created among the students by their own enormous effort is very frustrating. A part time job, a part time family, a part time anything just doesn't have the same results as a full time commitment. If my kids had had their way, SVS would have been year round. It is incredibly ironic to me that you want to have some of this "school" experience when you are so firmly commited to unschooling? What is it that you are not getting from your experience that makes you want this connection? Tis a puzzle. Are you aware that students sign their own committment to attending SVS when enrolled?
Carol