Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] For Scott ( about prisoner analogy for public schools)

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Mon Oct 10 19:49:01 2005

  Thanks for the kind words, Bernard.

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, frodon444 wrote:

> When I was translating into french different texts from
> the old Sudbury Valley website, there was the text
> "Injustice" written by you. It doesn't exist any more in
> the new site. I'm curious why.

  When the new SVS site was being put together, choices
about the library were altered, trimmed, and modified.
  The referenced article is a bit theoretical -- the
standard that has informed the online library since the new
site went up, has to do with the *direct* relation between
the material written and the actual school itself.

> Personnaly, I like this text very much, I find it so true!
>
> http://www.unseelie.org/injustic.html
>
> But when I showed my translation to other (unprepared)
> people, everybody found it exagerated (even teenagers !),
> so I thought I should only show such texts to people who
> already know other texts about Sudbury.
>
> But when I told about it with people who are in democratic
> schools or are founders of a democratic school, what you
> wrote was an evidence fo all of them ! (so, no reason to
> preach the converted)

  I know that the words I selected for the essay are very
'borderline' in English. This was done intentionally; I
tried to avoid words that are metaphoric or imply something
until the very end -- leaving it to the turns of phrase to
remind the reader of a prisoner memoir.
  I'm sure that the essay did annoy many English readers,
but I also received many letters from people over the years
wanting to thank me for it, or asking to reprint it. And a
surprising number wrote to tell me that it had changed their
minds about school or given them a new outlook about it.
  I've gotten many more letters about having changed
someone's mind from that essay, than from everything else
I've ever written (a bit annoying, given that I spent
minutes in Injustice, but days on many other articles).

  It's interesting that the English-languiage readers seemed
more prone to have their minds changed by the essay than the
French-language readers. Perhaps the irony in the essay is
harder to translate while staying on that thin line, than it
was to write?
  I know that translation always seemed to me a generally
more daunting task than writing, given the differences of
tone and character between languages. But, being as close to
mono-lingual as I am, I really am in no position to say with
certainty. :-)

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray_at_sudval.org