[Discuss-sudbury-model] private schools for the underpriviledged

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Mon Oct 10 19:41:00 2005

Last year I had the priviledge of spending some time with a brilliant man, Ricardo Semler. He wrote Maverick, a book about creating his democratically run business. Since then, he has founded the Lumier school, in Brazil. It is also a democratically run school. They have a sliding scale tuition, with some children attending for practically nothing. If I recall correctly ( and, please, forgive me if I'm not totally accurate- but I'm pretty sure the jist of this is correct ..I'm sure someone will correct me, too ! ), there is a foundation that provides substantial funding for the school. Ricardo started it; but last I spoke to him, they were beginning the process of involving corporations to assist financially. That is all I know, unfortunately. The school is extremely successful and growing, with new schools opening, and requests for more schools than they can keep up with. They were even getting government support.

This seems like a model worth inquiring about and learning from. Their website is www.lumier.org.br . Last year it was only in Spanish. Don't know about now. Emily Schaffer was the woman taking on the task of forming alliances with corporations, if she is still there.

Ann Ide