Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Better than thou? Well, yes

From: Ryan Singer <ryan.singer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 10 14:26:01 2005

On 10/10/05, Kenneth Winchenbach Walden <kenhww_at_meadowdance.org> wrote:

> Woty wrote:
>
> > To use another imperfect analogy: Most people would advise a woman to
> > leave an abusive husband, even if it raised extremely difficult
> > practical problems. What would you think if someone suggested that this
> > is an elitist position because some women cannot afford, either
> > geographically or financially, to leave?
>
> If none of the many people who advised women this way were able to offer
> a means by which those women who are unprivileged can realistically
> leave their abusive husband, then I think it would be fair to say that
> *the system* is an elitist one, in that it allows freedom and safety for
> those who are privileged enough to obtain it. Perhaps we should say an
> unconsciously elitist system. That does not mean that an individual who
> is working in the field and helping some women to leave their husbands,
> but not others, is individually an elitist.

What system? The system of friendly advise is elitist? The system of
romantic relationships? I don't see a system in that example, I see a person
who is advising another person who is being abused by a third person. There
is no Government there, there is no Market there, there is non system there.
Freedom and safety from relationships and not matters of privilege, they are
matters of choice.

To bring it back to schools, I know we've had this discussion many times