Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Better than thou? Well, yes

From: Kenneth Winchenbach Walden <kenhww_at_meadowdance.org>
Date: Mon Oct 10 14:21:00 2005

Woty wrote:

> To use another imperfect analogy: Most people would advise a woman to
> leave an abusive husband, even if it raised extremely difficult
> practical problems. What would you think if someone suggested that this
> is an elitist position because some women cannot afford, either
> geographically or financially, to leave?

If none of the many people who advised women this way were able to offer
a means by which those women who are unprivileged can realistically
leave their abusive husband, then I think it would be fair to say that
*the system* is an elitist one, in that it allows freedom and safety for
those who are privileged enough to obtain it. Perhaps we should say an
unconsciously elitist system. That does not mean that an individual who
is working in the field and helping some women to leave their husbands,
but not others, is individually an elitist.

To bring it back to schools, I know we've had this discussion many times
on here. But similarly, it is important when looking at the democratic
school movement or the Sudbury school movement as a whole to address the
issue of whether unprivileged children have access to this model or not.
It doesn't mean it's wrong or dishonorable to run a school that not
everyone can afford. There are many practical reasons to do so. Yet I
know that I and many others are at the same time interested in tackling
the challenge of how we can provide this model, which we think to be
best, to everyone who can benefit from it regardless of financial and
practical obstacles.

Ken Walden