Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Better than thou? Well, yes

From: Woty <woty_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon Oct 10 13:51:01 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 9:45, Bendymind wrote:

> Motive is everything.

Actually, it isn't. What one does is also important.

> Do you revel in the failure of others because it makes you feel
> better about yourself or do you respect and want to raise them up
> in pursuit of reform that is actually just? If your elitist
> arrogance turns the unenlightened away it is detrimental to the
> cause and absolutely dishonorable. It hurts to have your world
> view shattered and those who are actually interested in affecting a
> change should be aware and consistently vigilant about where the
> other person needs to be met and what it will take to get them to
> understand.

Yes, absolutely. Explaining things seriously and with concern for the
problems people are facing is important but it is also important
not to equivocate while doing this.

The goal is to promote good ideas and good institutions not to make
everyone we encounter feel good about them whether or not they
understand them.

(In fact, Sudbury model schools can face serious problems when they
haven't alienated the right people, especially in their first few
years.)

~Woty