Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Better than thou? Well, yes

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Mon Oct 10 11:23:00 2005

A person who cannot respect themselves and others enough to
hear someone else's thoughts -- stated politely and
respectfully, but honestly and without pretense -- without
reading it as 'elitist arrogance,' may not be in the target
audience of people who are philosophically ready for a place
as brutally honest as a Sudbury school.

That said, every 'movement' is served by people who can
gently, carefully persuade others who might initially reject
it to give the movement a second look. But it also requires
people who can unambiguously and without apology argue for
and defend the ideology. Both on positive grounds -- what is
right with the idea, and on negative grounds -- why people
should move away from what they are already doing.

I've long argued that the civil rights movement of the 60s
required *both* the gentle words of ministers like Doctor
King, and the fear instilled by the words of persons like
Malcom X, in order to make headway. It takes all kinds to
make a world. There doesn't have to be just one 'right' way
to talk about the school -- and given how varied people in
the world are, it's a darn good thing that we have advocates
around the world with all sorts of different styles of
presentation.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray_at_sudval.org