RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Slave analogy for public schools.

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Sun Oct 9 15:48:00 2005

David,

No one, not even Ayn Rand in the section you quoted, is talking about
compromising between life (as in being alive) and death (as in being dead).

As far as truth or falsehood, of course! We all compromise on that one from
time to time. ("Officer, I didn't realize how fast I was going.", "Honey, of
course I like your shirt.", "No, keep showing me the pictures of your
vacation to Newark. You're not keeping me away from what I was doing.", etc.

Compromising between reason and irrationality? All the time! Just think
about the last time you ate a doughnut or drove to the store for that small
item that could have waited or the gift you bought your kid that you really
hadn't budgeted for, but, what the hell, it felt good to give it!

The important skill is to be able to distinguish the important compromises
on fundamental values from the more trivial compromises.

As to the actual compromises on the table for discussion, yes, it is
certainly a matter of semantics. Calling as poison a "medicine" is simply a
way of making it palatable. It is much the same way as kids will pick a
bunch of dandelions in full bloom and say, "Here are some flowers" when all
we see are weeds. So calling it a matter of semantics is to agree with my
point.

As to the police example, would you rather that the police not be able to
ask the local pimp for information on a multiple homicide because the pimp
is too worried to speak to the cops for fear of being arrested himself?

~Alan Klein

  _____

From: David Rovner
What would you regard as a "compromise" between life and death ? Or between
truth and faleshood ? Or between reason and irrationality ? The problem is
that we are not able to distinguish between them. We have lost -- or maybe
never had -- the ability to discriminate between them.

The "poisons" many of us take at various times to cure specific diseases or
to eradicate pests -- are medicines, not poisons. It's a matter of
semantics.

As to "good" vs. "evil", and the police regularly using informants from the
"evildoers'" side in order to achieve what they see as a greater good, maybe
that's the problem with our society: "you" compromise on everything. "You"
betray your own principles -- if "you" consistently have any.